Skip to main content

Introducing the Seiko 5 Sports MOTOCOMPO Limited Edition

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying that children are either car kids or dinosaur kids. Personally, I was firmly in the latter category. But the older I get, the more I realize how much I’ve missed out on. Now, I’m not saying I’m interested in those flashy muscle cars (I haven’t hit my midlife crisis yet); instead, I’m interested in vehicles that look like toy cars, the miniaturized version of toys I would have played with as a toddler. A few weeks ago, I was very excited to hear the Fiat Topolino is coming stateside. Just last week, I was looking at import fees to get one of those cute little Japanese trucks into the U.S. And while I once took a class to learn how to ride a Harley-Davidson, I think the Honda Motocompo is much more my speed.

For those who aren’t familiar with the Motocompo, this zippy little thing was released by Honda in 1981 as a folding motorcycle designed to fit inside the trunk of the Honda City. The handlebars, seat, and footrests folded into the body, creating a compact rectangular shape that could be stored in the car and used for short trips around town. It has since gained a bit of a cult following and is now the inspiration behind the Seiko 5 Sports MOTOCOMPO Limited Edition.

For this release, Seiko used its Seiko 5 Sports Field series as the Motocompo’s base, with a compact 36.4mm case and a yellow dial pulled directly from the original vehicle’s color palette. The Honda logo runs through the black section across the center, while the “Automatic” text at 6 o’clock uses a font inspired by the Motocompo logo.

What I really love about this particular release is how Seiko cleverly packed in so many references into the tiny real estate of the watch itself. The crown is marked “TURN,” inspired by the Motocompo’s fuel cock, while the nylon strap uses “CARRYING POINT” and “INSERTION POINT” markings inspired by the attachment points used to secure the bike inside the car. The semi-translucent red caseback has the silhouette of the Motocompo to complete the visual references. 

Inside is Seiko’s 4R36 automatic movement, which promises approximately 41 hours of power reserve. The watch is packaged in a special box designed to resemble the corrugated carton used to ship the original motorcycle (which might just be my favorite little easter egg of all).

The Seiko 5 Sports MOTOCOMPO Limited Edition is scheduled for release in September 2026 with a price tag of $375. This release is limited to 8,000 pieces. For more information, visit Seiko’s website.

Images from this post:

The post Introducing the Seiko 5 Sports MOTOCOMPO Limited Edition appeared first on Worn & Wound.



from Worn & Wound https://ift.tt/NpuImWs

Comments